At Berris Mangan, we protect the privacy of your personal information diligently. Our Privacy Code is based on the B.C. Personal Information Protections Act. This legislation governs personal information that Berris Mangan collects, uses and/or discloses in the course of doing business.
- The partners of Berris Mangan are ultimately accountable for the protection of personal information and responsible for ensuring compliance of the Privacy Code. The day-to-day monitoring for compliance may be delegated to other team members.
- Titles of the persons designated to oversee compliance with our Privacy Code will be made available upon request.
- Berris Mangan is responsible for personal information in its possession or control. We will use the appropriate means to provide a comparable level of protection of personal information when information is being transferred or processed by a third party.
- Berris Mangan has developed policies and procedures to:
- protect personal information – receive and respond to complaints and inquiries
- train team members regarding the policies and procedures
- communicate the policies and procedures to our clients.
Identifying the Purposes of Personal Information
- Berris Mangan collects personal information for the following purposes only:
- to provide professional services
- to establish and maintain relations with clients to provide ongoing services
- to understand the needs and preferences of our clients
- to ensure high standard of service to our clients
- to meet legal and regulatory requirements
- Berris Mangan will obtain consent to collect, use or disclose any personal information except where detailed in this code. Berris Mangan will make reasonable efforts to ensure that clients understand how their personal information will be used and disclosed.
- A client’s consent can be expressed, implied or given through an authorized representative such as a lawyer. A client can withdraw consent at anytime, with certain exceptions detailed below. Berris Mangan may collect, use or disclose personal information without client’s knowledge or consent in exceptional circumstances which may include the following circumstances:
- when such collection, use or disclosure is permitted or required by law
- when use of information is for acting in an emergency that threatens an individual’s life or health
- when certain information is publicly available
- when we require legal advice from a lawyer
- Consent may be implied or given orally, in writing or electronically. In determining the appropriate form of consent, Berris Mangan will consider the sensitivity of the personal information. For example, depending on the sensitivity of the information, consent can be expressed over the telephone when information is being collected; electronically when submitting an agreement or other information.
- In general, the use of services by a client constitutes implied consent for Berris Mangan to collect, use and disclose personal information.
- A client may withdraw consent at any time subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. However, refusal or withdrawal of consent may prevent Berris Mangan from providing a service to the client.
Limiting Collection of Personal Information
- Berris Mangan will collect personal information for the purposes of the engagement. Berris Mangan shall collect personal information by fair and lawful means.
Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention of Personal Information
- Berris Mangan will only use or disclose client information for the purpose it was collected.
- Berris Mangan will not use personal information for any additional purpose unless Berris Mangan has obtained consent.
- Berris Mangan will not sell client personal information to third parties.
- Berris Mangan will retain personal information only as long as necessary (for example as required by CA Institute by-laws) or expected to be necessary for the identified purposes, or as required by other legislation.
- When personal information is no longer required, this information will be destroyed with appropriate security measures.
Accuracy of Personal Information
- Berris Mangan will make reasonable efforts to ensure that personal information is accurate, complete and current as required for the purposes for which it was collected.
Safeguarding of Personal Information
- Berris Mangan will protect personal information and is committed to the safekeeping of personal information in order to prevent its loss, theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
- Berris Mangan will protect personal information disclosed to third parties by contractual agreements stipulating the confidentiality of the information and the purposes for which it is to be used.
Availability of Policies and Procedures
- Information about Berris Mangan’ privacy policies and procedures may be made available to clients upon request.
Access to Personal Information
- Clients may request to access their personal information held by Berris Mangan. Upon request, Berris Mangan will inform the client what personal information it has, what it is being used for and to whom it has been disclosed if applicable. This information will be in understandable form and given to the client at a minimal or no cost to the individual depending on the type and amount of information requested.
- Berris Mangan will make the information available within 30 days of request or provide written notice of extension where additional time is required to fulfill the request.
- If the information presented is inaccurate or incomplete, Berris Mangan will amend the information as required.
- Berris Mangan will maintain procedures for addressing and responding to all inquiries or complaints by clients.
- Berris Mangan will inform its clients about the existence of these procedures as well as the availability of complaint procedures.
- Clients are to direct any complaints, questions, or concerns in writing to the Privacy Officers.
Attn: Privacy Officer
1827, West 5th Avenue
Vancouver, B.C., V6J 1P5